Cheng-Yuan Kao Profile updated: September 3, 2020
Associate Investigator ResearcherID: A-7531-2010
Immunology Research Center, National Health Research Institutes
Phone +886-37-206166 Ext 37622
Address 35 Keyan Road, Zhunan, Miaoli County 350, Taiwan (R.O.C.)
Microbiota / Systems biology / Gut barrier and mucosal immunity / Inflammatory diseases (obesity, metabolic diseases, colitis) / DUSP / C. elegans innate immunity / Pore-forming toxin / Statin biology
Our current direction of research is focusing on studying inflammatory diseases such as obesity/metabolic disorders (e.g. nonalcoholic fatty liver diseases) and colitis. My lab has discovered that the gut microbiota could mediate the resistance in diet-induced obesity in dusp6 knockout mouse model. I believe that integration is the key in the research of this era. We aim to apply integrative approaches to investigate biology of inflammation and its associated diseases from molecules to the whole organisms. Currently we are trying to combine a multi-omics (single-cell and bulk transcriptomics, proteomics, metabolomics and microbiome/metagenome) strategy and complementary in vitro and in vivo mechanistic approaches to study the roles of low-level inflammation and host microbiota play in metabolic and inflammatory diseases.
- 1990-1994 B.S. in Biology National Cheng-Kung University, Tainan, Taiwan.
- 1994-1996 M.S. in Genetics National Yang-Ming University, Taipei, Taiwan.
- 2000-2005 Ph.D. in Genetics University of California – Davis, Davis, CA, USA.
- 1998-2000 Research Assistant, Institute of Biomedical Sciences, Academia Sinica, Taipei, Taiwan.
- 2005-2010 Postdoctoral Researcher, Section of Cell and Developmental Biology, University of California – San Diego, La Jolla, CA, USA.
- 2010-2011 Postdoctoral Researcher, Department of Internal Medicine, University of California – Davis, Davis, CA, USA.
- 2011-2012 Assistant Project Scientist, Department of Internal Medicine, University of California – Davis, Davis, CA, USA.
- 2012-2017 Assistant Investigator, Immunology Research Center, National Health Research Institutes, Zhunan, Miaoli, Taiwan.
- 2017-present Associate Investigator, Immunology Research Center, National Health Research Institutes, Zhunan, Miaoli, Taiwan.
Honors and Awards
- 08/2017-07/2020 Project for Excellent Junior Research Investigators (MOST-106-2628-B-400-001-MY3).
- 07/2010-06/2011 Ruth L. Kirschstein National Research Service Award (T32-HL-07013).
- 05/2005 Graduate Student Travel Award, University of California, Davis.
- 07/2001-09/2001 Summer Research Assistantship / Engineering or Computer-related Applications and Methods, University of California, Davis.
Provisional Applications and Patents
- Anti-Obesity Microbiota Compositions and Preparation Methods and Uses There of. Inventors: Jhen-Wei Ruan and Cheng-Yuan Kao. Taiwan: Application No. 106112695 and PCT: Application No. PCT/US17/27599
- 2006, 2012 The American Society for Cell Biology (ASCB).
- 2007-2009 Genetics Society of America (GSA).
- 2004-2005 American Thoracic Society (ATS).
- Tin-protophorin potentiates arsenite-induced DNA strand breaks, chromatid breaks and kinetochore-negative micronuclei in human fibroblasts. Ho IC, Yih LH, Kao CY, Lee TC. Mutation Research 2000 Jul 20; 452(1): 41-50.
- ORFeome-based search of airway epithelial cell-specific novel human beta-defensin genes. Kao CY, Chen Y, Zhao YH, Wu R. American Journal of Respiratory Cell and Molecular Biology 2003 Jul; 29(1):71-80.
- Interleukin-17 markedly up-regulates beta-defensin 2 expression in human airway epithelium via JAK and NF-kappaB signaling pathways. Kao CY, Chen Y, Thai P, Wachi S, Huang F, Kim C, Harper RW, Wu R. The Journal of Immunology 2004 Sep 1; 173(5): 3482-3491.
- Differential regulation of dual NADPH oxidases/peroxidases, Duox1 and Duox2, by Th1 and Th2 cytokines in respiratory tract epithelium. Harper RW, Xu C, Eiserich JP, Chen Y, Kao CY, Thai P, Setiadi H, Wu R. FEBS Letters 2005 Aug 29; 79(21): 4911-4917.
- Up-regulation of CC Chemokine ligand 20 expression in human airway epithelium by IL-17 through a JAK-independent but MEK/NF-kappaB-dependent signaling pathway. Kao CY, Huang F, Chen Y, Thai P, Wachi S, Kim C, Tam L, Wu R. The Journal of Immunology 2005 Nov 15; 175(10): 6676-6685.
- New insights into airway mucous cell differentiation. Wu R, Harper RW, Kao CY, Thai P, Wu D, Chen Y, Chang MMJ. Journal of Organ Dysfunction 2006 Mar; 2(1): 30-36.
- Requirement for both JAK-mediated PI3K signaling and ACT1/TRAF6/TAK1 dependent NF-kappaB activation by IL-17A in enhancing cytokine expression in human airway epithelial cells. Huang F, Kao CY, Wachi S, Thai P, Ryu J, Wu R. The Journal of Immunology 2007, Nov 15; 179(10): 6504-6513.
- Requirements for two proximal NF-kappaB binding sites and IkappaB-zeta in IL-17A-induced human beta-defensin 2 expression by conducting airway epithelium. Kao CY, Kim C, Huang F, Wu R. The Journal of Biological Chemistry 2008 May 30; 283(22): 15309-15318.
- Regulation of mucosal immunity by airway epithelium: The IL-17A paradigm. Huang F, Kao CY, Thai P, Wachi S, Kim C, Lee Y, Hung LY, Harper RW, Chang MMJ, Wu R. Journal of Organ Dysfunction 2008 Jun; 4(2): 93-98.
- Activation of the unfolded protein response is required for defenses against bacterial pore-forming toxin in vivo. Bischof LJ, Kao CY, Los FC, Gonzalez MR, Shen Z, Briggs SP, van der Goot FG, Aroian RV. PLoS Pathogens 2008 Oct 10; 4(10): e1000176.
- Nervous about immunity: neuronal signals control innate immune system. Kao CY, Los FC, Aroian RV. Nature Immunology 2008 Dec; 9(12): 1329-1330.
- Hypoxia and the hypoxic response pathway protect against pore-forming toxins in C. elegans. Bellier A, Chen CS, Kao CY, Cinar HN, Aroian RV. PLoS Pathogens 2009 Dec 11; 5(12): e1000689.
- WWP-1 is a novel signal modulator of the DAF-2 insulin-like signaling network involved in pore-forming toxin cellular defenses in Caenorhabditis elegans. Chen CS, Bellier A, Kao CY, Yang YL, Chen HD, Los FC, Aroian RV. PLoS One 2010 Mar 2; 5(3): e9494.
- RAB-5- and RAB-11-dependent vesicle-trafficking pathways are required for plasma membrane repair after attack by bacterial pore-forming toxin. Los FC, Kao CY, Smitham J, McDonald KL, Ha C, Peixoto CA, Aroian RV. Cell Host & Microbe 2011 Feb 17; 9(2):147-57.
- Global functional analyses of cellular responses to pore-forming toxins. Kao CY, Los FC, Huffman DL, Wachi S, Kloft N, Husmann M, Karabrahimi V, Schwartz JL, Bellier A, Ha C, Sagong Y, Fan H, Ghosh P, Hsieh M, Hsu CS, Chen L, Aroian RV. PLoS Pathogens 2011 Mar 3; 7(3): e1001314.
- Statin-conferred enhanced cellular resistance against bacterial pore-forming toxins in airway epithelial cells. Statt S, Ruan JW, Hung LY, Chang CY, Huang CT, Lim JH, Li JD, Wu R, Kao CY*. American Journal of Respiratory Cell and Molecular Biology 2015 Nov;53(5):689-702. [Selected as a highlighted paper by junior investigators in the “Red Alert” section]
- Lipidome and transcriptome profiling of pneumolysin intoxication identifies networks involved in statin-conferred protection of airway epithelial cells. Statt S, Ruan JW, Huang CT, Wu R, Kao CY*. Scientific Reports 2015 May 29;5:10624.
- Identification of Thiostrepton as a novel inhibitor for psoriasis-like inflammation induced by TLR7-9. Lai CY, Yeh DW, Lu CH, Liu YL, Huang LR, Kao CY, Chen HY, Huang CF, Chang CH, Luo Y, Xiang R, Chuang TH. The Journal of Immunology 2015 Oct 15;195(8):3912-21.
- Dual-specificity phosphatase 6 deficiency regulates gut microbiome and transcriptome response against diet-induced obesity in mice. Ruan JW, Statt S, Huang CT, Tsai YT, Kuo CC, Chan HL, Liao YC, Tan TH, Kao CY*. Nature Microbiology 2016 Nov 28;2:16220.
- HLH-30/TFEB-mediated autophagy functions cell-autonomously for epithelium intrinsic cellular defense against bacterial pore-forming toxin in C. elegans. Chen HD, Kao CY, Liu BY, Huang SW, Kuo CJ, Ruan JW, Lin YH, Huang CR, Chen YH, Wang HD, Aroian RV, Chen CS. Autophagy 2016 Nov 22:1-15.
- DUSP6 mediates T cell receptor-engaged glycolysis and restrains TFH cell differentiation. Hsu WC, Chen MY, Hsu SC, Huang LR, Kao CY, Cheng WH, Pan CH, Wu MS, Yu GY, Hung MS, Leu CM, Tan TH, Su YW. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 2018 Aug 21;115(34):E8027-E8036.
- An overview of microbiome based strategies on anti-obesity. Chang CS, Ruan JW, Kao CY*. The Kaohsiung Journal of Medical Sciences 2019 Jan;35(1):7-16.
- Current understanding of the gut microbiome shaping mechanisms. Chang CS, Kao CY*. Journal of Biomedical Science 2019 Aug 21;26(1):59.
- Epigenetic silencing of ubiquitin specific protease 4 by Snail1 contributes to macrophage-dependent inflammation and therapeutic resistance in lung cancer. Lai CY, Yeh DW, Lu CH, Liu YL, Chuang YC, Ruan JW, Kao CY, Huang LR, Chuang TH. Cancers 2020 Jan 8;12(1).
- Antrodia cinnamomea confers obesity resistance and restores intestinal barrier integrity in leptin-deficient obese mice. Tsai YT, Ruan JW, Chang CS, Ko ML, Chou HC, Lin CC, Lin CM, Huang CT, Wei YS, Liao EC, Chen HY, Kao CY*, Chan HL*. Nutrients 2020 Mar 10; 12(3), 726.
- Neutralization of lipocalin-2 diminishes stroke-reperfusion injury. Wang G, Weng YC, Chiang IC, Huang YT, Liao YC, Chen YC, Kao CY, Liu YL, Lee TH, Chou WH. International Journal of Molecular Sciences 2020 Aug 29;21(17):E6253.